I have extensive experience as an educator, advocator, therapist, mediator, group facilitator, and clinical case manager for children, adolescents, couples and families both domestically and globally. I began my career in Malawi, Africa teaching leadership and life skills activities to adolescent boys and girls and working with adult women on community development. Upon my return from Africa, my employment scope widened to include the provision of mental health services to a diverse group of children, teenagers and their families within community mental health agencies, schools, therapeutic group homes, and foster family and adoption agencies.
Outside of practicing within Head and Heart Therapy, I also facilitate groups for children whose lives are impacted by parental separation, divorce or remarriage in order to help them identify, explore and communicate their feelings and understand the changes that their family is experiencing. Concurrently, I provide support and education to the parents (separately) in order to facilitate an understanding of how their actions can adversely affect their offspring, while learning to identify and manage their own feelings not only during this turbulent time, but laying the foundation to effect lifelong change.
Additionally, I co-direct the organization, Goddess Grrrl, where we organize and facilitate self-empowerment groups for girls ranging in age from 10-18 in a variety of locations within the community. We offer opportunities for girls to share the changes and challenges inherent in their adolescent lives, while giving them tools to make healthy choices for themselves. We teach skills relating to communication, decision making, relationship building, self-empowerment, peer support and advocacy in an environment dedicated to their safety and well-being.
Licensed Clinical Social Worker #29137
Education and Training
- Mediation Intensive Training (40 hrs), The Center for Understanding in Conflict, 3/13, Green Gulch, CA
- Essentials of Mediation and Divorce Mediation (40 hrs), Northern CA Mediation Center, 3/09, San Rafael, CA
- Intensive Spanish Immersion Program, 3/08-5/08, Cuernavaca, Mexico
- Family Law, San Francisco Law School, 10/07-11/07, San Francisco, CA
- M.S.W, Child Welfare Fellow, Interpersonal Practice with Children and Youth, 2005, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Peace Corps Training, 10/01-12/01, Malawi, Africa. Intense technical training in teaching, community development, program planning, Chichewa and cross-culture.
- B.A., English and Creative Writing, 1993, New York University, New York City, NY